Kitchener-Waterloo Gem and Mineral Club
50 Years of Geological Fun and Education
The Kitchener-Waterloo Gem and Mineral Club was formed in 1965.
For fifty years, our club has brought together people
who have an interest in the lapidary arts and in collecting
rocks, minerals, and fossils.
Members are residents of Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph,
and other communities in Waterloo and Wellington Counties, Ontario.
The club meets on a monthly basis, usually
at Button Factory Arts (formerly the "Waterloo Community Arts Centre") in
Waterloo. Meetings include speakers, workshops and the ever-popular monthly
raffle for gems and minerals.
Special events include picnics, pot-luck suppers and field trips.
|June 2016 club picnic|
The club also provides a forum for an exchange of information
and ideas about the hobby. We also promote safe and responsible collecting,
and we work with other federation clubs to secure more collecting areas.
Our club is a member of the Central
Canadian Federation of Mineralogical Societies (CCFMS).
Visit us on Facebook!
Or on meetup.com!
Celestine and Calcite
Niagara Canal Dumps
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Nipissing 404 Mine
For more past meetings, see here.
- Friday, January 5 2018:
Our annual competition night!
See the very best that our club has to offer in minerals, gems, fossils, and other rock-related items. Here are the categories:
1. Best Fossil
2. Best Lapidary or rock art item (non-gemstone)
3. Best Gemstone
4. Best Photograph with hobby theme
5. Best Mineral from Ontario
6. Best Mineral from Canada outside Ontario
7. Best Mineral from the USA
8. Best Mineral outside Canada and USA
9. Best Thumbnail
10. Best "Blue" specimen
11. Best Petrified wood specimen
12. Best Garden Rock
13. Best Mineral oddity
14. Best Quartz specimen
15. Best Specimen Collected by a Kid Under 16
Silent and live auctions, pizza and pop provided by the club.
Our Kids Club is designed for children 5-16 who are interested in
rocks, fossils, and minerals. We meet monthly at the Rock Spa on Victoria
Street in Kitchener.
For more information about the kids' club, contact
Meetings are typically the first Saturday of each month,
10:15 AM - 11:15 AM
at The Rock Spa on Victoria Street in Kitchener.
News and Future Events
last updated December 17 2017
Provided as a public service. Details not guaranteed.
Always check with show venue before heading
out on a long car trip.
- March 3-4 2018: Kawartha Rock and Fossil Club presents their 24th annual show. 10 AM to 5 PM both days. Evinrude Centre, 911 Monaghan Road, Peterborough, Ontario. For more information contact: Robert Becket, phone 705-740-4530 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . Admission $4; children under 12 free.
- March 24-25 2018: Buffalo Geological Society presents the
50th Annual Gem Mineral Fossil Show. Saturday, 10 AM to 6 PM; Sunday
10 AM to 5 PM. Erie County Fairgrounds, Market, Grange, & State
Police Buildings, 5820 South Park Avenue, Hamburg, New York. For
more info visit www.bgsny.org .
- April 7-8 2018: Brantford Lapidary and Mineral Society presents their 46th annual Lapidary and Mineral Show. Saturday and Sunday, 10 AM to 5 PM. Paris Fairgrounds, 139 Silver Street, Paris, Ontario N3L 1V5. For more info visit http://www.brantfordlapidarymineral.ca/abouttheshow.htm .
How to Contact Us
Kitchener-Waterloo Gem and Mineral Club
c/o Stephanie Martin
Button Factory Arts
25 Regina St. S.,
Waterloo, ON N2J 1R8 Canada
- Co-Presidents: Gary Winkler (519) 803-4343; email@example.com
Gary Partlow (519) 836-6515; firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Stephanie Martin (226) 868-4367; email@example.com
Publicity: Donna Hollander (519) 571-1418; firstname.lastname@example.org
Librarian: Mike Koy, 519-576-6595
Liaison: Stan Jones (519) 658-4394
Field Trip Chair: Robert Land, (519) 835-7147; email@example.com .
Newsletter Editor: Jeffrey Shallit (519) 743-8754; firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting Setup: Stanley Lui (519) 635-6390; email@example.com
Kids' Club Coordinator: Robert Maric (519) 503-1722; firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Show and Sale
Each year our club organizes an annual show, which is open to the public.
Our show provides an opportunities for people to buy, sell and exchange rocks,
minerals, fossils, gemstones, lapidary material and equipment.
The show is held on the first Saturday in May from 10 AM to 4 PM
at Button Factory Arts, 25 Regina St. S., in Waterloo, Ontario.
Admission is free.
Anyone (including dealers, swappers, clubs, and artists) may participate in
the show. Dealers are not permitted to advertise their business.
The cost for a 6-foot table is currently $30.
To reserve space or to obtain more information, please contact
|Club Field Trip to Cobalt|
Field trips are arranged about twice a year.
Past trips have included
held together with the CCMFS.
- Bancroft for apatite, biotite, and titanite;
- Cobalt for silver and cobalt arsenides;
- Arkona for fossil corals and brachiopods;
- Herkimer, New York, for quartz crystals;
- the Guelph Quarry for sphalerite; and
- the Dundas Quarry for sphalerite, calcite, fluorite, galena, and celestine.
Yearly Live Auction
Each year in December our club holds a live auction for gems, minerals, fossils,
meteorites, and lapidary items. The public is invited.
Each year our club has a competition for the best self-collected
specimen and the best specimen acquired elsewhere (the "Silver Pick" award).
Winners are voted on by members and the winner gets a trophy.
Our annual membership fees are $20
for an individual and $25 for a family. New members are welcome any time.
The Rockblast is published monthly and is currently edited by
Jeffrey Shallit. Members receive the newsletter electronically or
by Canada Post. Our newsletter outlines activities
and includes interesting articles related to lapidary and the rock and
mineral collecting hobby.
We currently exchange newsletters with other clubs.
For some past issues,
see the Rockblast archive.
Our club is sponsored by GemSelect,
a German-Thai company specializing in gemstones in Chanthaburi, Thailand.
Thanks to GemSelect for their support!
Members Only Area